In 1891 Floyd and Amanda Loop established the F.A. Loop and Son Undertakers & Furniture Store on Main Street in Bolivar, New York. In the early days, funeral visitation in the family's home was the norm. As customs changed the use of a funeral home gained in popularity. So they purchased the 66 Friendship Street property as their funeral home. In the 1930's Floyd and Amanda's son Harley joined the family business. Following his service in WWII, in the US Army Air Corp, Roy Schaffner graduated from the Cleveland School of Embalming in 1939. Roy joined Harley and Lois Loop in the operation of the funeral home and furniture store.
In 1956 Roy purchased the business from Harley Loop and moved the funeral home to its current location at 554 South Main Street. Roy was an active member of the Bolivar Community who felt that the funeral home should be a place where every family he served would feel at home. That philosophy is at the heart of what we believe to this day. Roy's son Joseph graduated from Bolivar Central School in 1972 and SUNY Canton in 1974, with a degree in Mortuary Science. Following a one year residency program, Joe joined his father in October 1975. Joe became the Manager of the funeral home upon Roy's retirement in 1976. Along with his wife Eileen, Joe purchased the funeral home in 1990 and continues as owner/manager. Today we are the oldest established funeral home in Allegany County and one of the oldest in western New York.